Hi my name is Tal and I am eight years old. My family is travelling around Australia in a bus. I have decided to write about my travels on this blog. I have a little brother called Jarra who is nearly two and a sister called Rennie who is six.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Dry and Sparkle

From Carnarvon we went to Emerald. It was a pretty good campsite with a pool next door, which Dad, Rennie, Jarra and I visited. Mum was going to come in for a quick dip after she had done the shopping but we left before she arrived back. At the pool a small aboriginal boy yelled at me to ”get out of his pool”. It was a big pool and it said Olympic swimmers had swum in it. The next day we travelled for about an hour down the road to Sapphire. We arrived and I noted straight away it was a small town and very dusty. We parked in a rest area that was also very dry and dusty like the rest of the town. We went to the Sunday market where most people were selling sapphires that they had found. That afternoon we went to a café where we could also hunt for sapphires. Firstly, we took some dirt and put it in a sieve and shook it about so the loose dirt fell through the mesh. Some of the sapphires we found were in clay that we broke apart. In theory, all the sapphires were meant to gather in the middle of the sieve when we turned it over. That day we found about 20 sapphires and lots of stones. Rennie and I shared a big bowl of wedges (YUM!). The next day we went to another fossicking place. This time we did it differently than the other, because we used a handle to shake the dirt out and to wash the rocks and every thing. At the end of our visit Dad and Mum had a long chat that felt like years and years. This time we didn’t find as many sapphires but they were much better. At the shop I bought a small light to shine through the sapphires to make them sparkle. We also bought two small tubes to put the sapphires in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home